Auditors target pancreatic enzyme prescriptions like Creon® and Zenpep® due to high cost and ambiguous directions.
The solution to this problem is contacting the prescriber at the time of fill to clarify the number of snacks or the maximum daily dose and make a clinical note on the prescription. This information must also be added to the patient label to avoid possible recoupment for a “misfill” on audit.
- The pancreatic enzyme category includes Creon®, Zenpep®, Pancreaze®, and Viokace®
- Bottles of Creon® 3,000 UDP, NDC 00032-1203-70, must be stored and dispensed in the original container
- Perform self-audits on a regular basis to ensure accuracy and that days’ supply is calculable
- Read the October 2023 Newsline article, Auditors’ Latest Trick for Flagging “Misfilled” Prescriptions
- Read the October 2023 Newsline article, Use As Directed – What is Your Attack Plan?