It is that glorious time of year again! Time for staff to be occupied not only with the daily activities of billing and filling medications, but also occupied with cough/cold/flu season, vaccine administration, answering Medicare Part D open enrollment questions, and holiday closures. Now is the time to ensure staff complete their annual Fraud, Waste & Abuse and HIPAA Compliance training since the December 31st deadline will be here before we know it!
Employees who are involved with filling, billing, dispensing or delivery of Medicare and/or Medicaid prescriptions are required to be trained within 30 days of hire (per PBM requirements) and at least annually thereafter. Per CMS Chapter 9.50.3, training and education for employees does include the CEO and senior administrators or managers. Relief pharmacists, students, interns, job shadows, and delivery drivers also need training. The training must cover FWA and General Compliance topics and must include details outlining your pharmacy’s specific policies and procedures of how you prevent, detect, and correct FWA.
Current PAAS National® FWA/HIPAA Compliance Program members can meet annual training requirements through the PAAS Member Portal. A few important things to note:
- All employees must complete the 2023 FWA Modules 1-4 and review/sign the Employee Compliance Training Handbook and Code of Conduct to meet training requirements.
- If a staff member misses the December 31st deadline, 2023 training cannot be retrospectively completed.
- Account administrators that have employees with outstanding quizzes or signatures will receive email reminders from PAAS periodically through the rest of the calendar year.
If you are unsure of all the necessary requirements, contact PAAS at (608) 873-1342 today for more information on our comprehensive, and customized, FWA/HIPAA Compliance Program.
- Potential HIPAA Violations Lead to $1.3 Million Settlement - November 23, 2023
- 3…2…1…The Countdown is On to Complete Annual Fraud, Waste & Abuse Training - November 5, 2023
- NEW PAAS Resource – Printable Signature Logbook - October 26, 2023