Billing and dispensing OTC COVID-19 tests is widespread throughout community pharmacies. PAAS National® wants to make sure pharmacies are prepared to provide the correct documentation in case of an audit. To date, PAAS has seen:
- Desk/invoice audits from Caremark, MedImpact and Prime Therapeutics,
- Regular desk audits from Humana
While the dollar amount of these claims does not seem audit worthy, PBMs are checking for Fraud, Waste and Abuse and contract violations. The PBMs have been known to reach out to the member to verify quantity, manufacturer, and proof of receiving the test kits from the pharmacy.
PAAS has created a COVID-19 Resources section for our members on the PAAS Member Portal. Here you can find the Medicare and Commercially-Insured Patient Request and Attestation for OTC COVID-19 Test Billing and Frequently Asked Questions . These documents have been created for our members to help answer questions and ease the documentation burden so pharmacies can save time and be audit ready.
What documentation to have in case of an audit:
- Biosimilar Advancements: Understanding the Latest Updates on Humira® with Cyltezo® and Abrilada™ - October 30, 2023
- $32 Million Kickback Scheme Involving Medicare and TRICARE - October 16, 2023
- Breyna™ – The First FDA Approved Symbicort® Generic With a 0.1 Gram Problem - October 14, 2023