Safeguarding ePHI – Office for Civil Rights (OCR) Summer Update
Safeguarding patient’s electronic PHI (ePHI) is a top priority for all who work in healthcare. Unfortunately, tactics hackers use to access ePHI have become more sophisticated and occur with an increasing frequency. The OCR Summer Update references a report that states in the healthcare sector, 61% of data breaches have been committed by external threats, leaving the other 39% by internal employees. This article serves to reflect upon how your pharmacy safeguards patient ePHI and potential considerations to strengthen those efforts.
Two HIPAA Security Rule standards, Information Access Management and Access Control, dictate how access to ePHI is handled. Each standard is then further divided into what is called “implementation specifications”. Each implementation specification is either required (entities must implement to be in accordance with the Security Rule) or addressable (entities must assess if that implementation specification is reasonable and appropriate). If the entity decides to forego an addressable specification, documentation of why, and if appropriate, what equivalent measures were implemented in its place, is necessary.
First, Information Access Management, made up of “Access Authorization” and “Access Establishment and Modification” implementation specifications, define how access to ePHI is authorized. It requires pharmacies to:
- Have policies and procedures for granting ePHI access to personnel
- Define to what degree of access is needed for an employee to adequately do their job
- Explore how access is altered depending on a change in job description or employment
Example #1: The pharmacy clerk who handles prescription sales may not require access to patient profiles.
Example #2: Changing system access to allow for remote access – something frequently done due to the pandemic.
Other points to consider include what policies and procedures does the pharmacy have in place to establish, document, review, and modify employees’ degree of access and who oversees ensuring such policies and procedures are followed. PAAS FWA/HIPAA compliance members should review Section 11.5 Information Access Management of their Policy and Procedure manual and the Employee Request for Access in Appendix B.
Second, the Access Control standard, which addresses the technical controls to ePHI access, requires access restrictions be in place to allow for ePHI only to be accessible in accordance with the Information Access Management processes discussed above. There are four implementation specifications included within the Access Control standard:
- “Unique User Identification” (required) – Utilizing unique credentialing for each employee is an important aspect to preserve the security of ePHI. This identification can be implemented several ways, one being user-based access. Examples may include each employee having their own credentials to utilize when pulling up patient profiles or selling pseudoephedrine products. Another example would be role-based access, or only a pharmacist’s credentials will allow for additional access to ePHI that pharmacy technicians do not require.
- “Emergency Access Procedure” (required) – When power or internet failures occur, interruption of workflow may happen. What degree of ePHI can a pharmacy get by utilizing while in such situations? This also includes the question of how employees working remotely have peace of mind that they are securely accessing ePHI without risking a breach.
- “Automatic Logoff” (addressable) – Implementing a user being automatically logged off after a specified amount of time could decrease the risk of unauthorized access or misuse of PHI.
- “Encryption and Decryption” (addressable) – Encrypting data can be used to reduce risks of unauthorized access to ePHI. If ePHI is encrypted following the NIST Special Publication 800-111 (Guide to Storage Encryption Technologies for End User Devices), it is considered secured per OCR’s guidance for securing PHI and therefore not subject to the Breach Notification Rule if a data breach or loss of a device containing ePHI would occur.
Covered entities, such as pharmacies, must keep PHI protected by ensuring their computer systems are secured. Section 11.5 Information Access Management of the PAAS FWA/HIPAA compliance program Policy and Procedure manual is designed to meet this standard.
PAAS Analysts are always happy to discuss how our Fraud, Waste, & Abuse and HIPAA compliance program is built to help you address federal regulations. Call (608) 873-1342 or visit paasnational.com to see how you can become an FWA/HIPAA Compliance Member today.
- Resist the Urge: Don’t Reverse Claims After Receiving an Audit - May 12, 2023
- Black Market HIV Medications Are Not Worth the Savings! - April 10, 2023
- Nuedexta® National Audit: A Tale of Medically Accepted Indications - April 5, 2023